Sep 6, 2007

My observation

I am living in a classroom. What I mean is, our house sold and we have ended up recently moving into an apartment. We are deciding what our long term housing will be.

The complex we are in is full of young "professional" singles. As much as i like to think of myself as young, I'm getting older and I have not been in the "single" market for a while. I went to the pool last weekend with my children and just watched people. I saw a lot of "happy plastic people." It was so obvious that these people were doing anything they could to appear as having it all together, carefree, in charge...but they were not putting on a convincing show.

I sat there and first thanked God that I had the wife I do...then I felt like standing up and yelling...let's get real okay!! I decided that that was not the best approach. Though the looks on everyone's face might have been worth it. My heart sank because I felt like I had no clue how to reach these people. To connect them with what they were needing and looking for: Christ. It reminded me how so many churches and Christians with their shiny steeples are living in a bubble. These people are not getting close to most churches, but it is obvious that they are searching.

I feel like I am in school, and I am learning about real people, people who are looking for some to really love them, looking for purpose. I am learning about people who are in need and so many don't realize it. I hope through all this I learn how to create environments that will capture their attention...then we can watch God change a life.

Pray for me and for the folks in our complex. Pray that I will learn a lot about how to connect with the disconnected.

Today look at the people that God has placed along your path. They may be the very classroom God uses to reveal things about yourself, about others, and about God himself. It may sound crazy I know, but watching people is one of the most powerful classrooms that God will put us in to learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brother Jerry,

I have read most of your blogs & I just want you to know that I will be praying for a wonderful start for your new church services beginning tomorrow.

Hopefully my family & I will be checking it out soon ourselves. We have been in search of a church that felt like home for years now.

Take Care,

Chrissy