Sep 13, 2007

Balance

I was talking with John Turner, a friend, author, and a really great communicator, and he was telling me about a blog he was writing about balance. That peaked my interest because balance is not something that is in my life right now. The church is consuming and overtakes my time, energy, and thoughts. Balance, I do not think so.

Ask a mother of a new infant and she will tell you that balance is not a reality, ask a person who is taking care of their ailing parent and balance is not a luxury. The reality is that there are seasons of life that come, some God calls us to, that don't include balance.

We strive for balance, but that striving assume that we control our circumstances. Think about it, the only way you can create real balance if you can control the events of your life. The problem, most of the events of our lives are out of our control.

Instead of balance, I think that we should be constantly asking, "Am I using the limited resource of time that God has given me today in a way God applauds?" You have to be careful when answering this question. We tend to wear busyness as a badge of honor and we easily rationalize our hyper-activity life as good because we are doing good things. Good things are like medicine...it is good in the right dose but even medicine can become toxic if overdosed.

I think that I want to retrain my brain. To walk away from striving for balance and instead view my time as a resource I can not recover. A resource that God has given me and that I will be accountable to him for how I use it.

No comments: