Sep 25, 2007

Early

It is 6:30 am and I just got back from a jog. I restarted my effort to stay fit today, and with our lifestyle I have to get up early to get it in or it will not happen. The problem is that I am not a morning person, I do like my bed early in the morning.

The fact is that if I want to be fit I have to make the space in my waking hours to invest in my physical shape. I can have the greatest of intentions but unless I invest time, energy, perseverance, and focus...it will not happen. Oh how I wish they would invent a pill.

The same is true with our spiritual shape. We can have the greatest intention to know Christ and learn to walk with him in life, but for that relationship to happen we have to make space in our life to invest the time, energy, perseverance, and focus to make it happen. Otherwise, our good intentions will not make it happen.

One thing that often happens is that we want to get to know God and in the name of efficiency we get it all done on Sunday. We go to church and hear a message and then go to another hour (Sunday School) to listen to a completely different lesson, so we pack a lot of God in on two hours and then we off go to do life until next week. The problem is that we get too much information to process in a short period of time, so we forget most of it, and we fail to realize that just getting information about God does not mean we know God.

The life we are invited into by God is a lifestyle of seeking him, learning about him, and just living with him everyday. To know God is to look for him in a quite time of prayer and/or Bible reading in the morning, looking for him at work, talking to him in the car, seeking him in a struggle, not giving up when he is silent, oh and yes learning about him in church. It is a lifestyle of seeking not of religious activity.

So take a spiritual evaluation. What kind of shape are you in? Now what are you going to do about it?

"You will seek me and find me when you seek for me with all your heart."--do a little seeking and when you find where this verse is located in the scripture be the first to post it by leaving a comment.

3 comments:

Tina Wilson said...

Jeremiah 29:13

"When I am afraid, I will trust in you."----

TAG, YOUR IT!!!!!

Tina

Jerry said...

Psalm 56:3

Anyone else? Try this one...

"Though He slay me,
I will hope in Him..."

Anonymous said...

I knew the other one. This book I am actually reading right now:

Job 13:15

With everything going on right now, I thought I should revist the man who had it worse and restrengthen myself.