Sep 7, 2008

Piedmont is 1 year old

I may have to update this blog tomorrow, I am exhausted and not sure my mind is fresh.

Today was an incredible day. The spirit, the band, all our volunteers, the work of our staff, the response, the party at the Northside property...everything was awesome. I am so grateful and humbled that I get to be the Lead Pastor of this amazing church.

For those who were not there, let me tell you what we did. As a part of the launch of the verge series we didn't take up an offering, instead we gave out thousands upon thousands of dollars. I guess you can say we did a reverse offering. Seriously, we had envelopes in the offering buckets and asked people to take one out of the offering bucket. In those envelopes were different amounts of money from 5 to 500 dollars.

There was one catch, you can't spend the money on yourself or your family. You have to give it away to someone who needs it. We did it to show that life is not just about the consumption of all you have, but God challenges us to become people who use our time, energy, and money to invest into the lives of others. I thought that if we "prime the pump" that we could get people fired up about investing into others as a way of living.

We will see what happens. It was a one-of-a-kind day, and now I am going to sleep.

3 comments:

torie.chipman@gmail.com said...

What an awesome day! Great Service Great Celebration and I loved seeing how excited everyone was to see a sneak peak inside our new location!

Aimee said...

Yesterday was VERY cool - everything about it (except the weather). We are trying to be very creative with our $5. We want Camden to be involved, so we've got our thinking caps on. What a fantastic idea! Piedmont ROCKS!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning,
My name is Tradenia Earley and am a single mother and three(15, 13, and 10). I am so thankful to your members Christopher and Jennifer Simmons for giving me the cash gift. I was in a time of need and went to them. They opening up their hearts and give the gift from your church. Thank you so much. It is great to see a church reach out to the communtiy. I am very impressed with your church. Continue to do the good works that God has place upon you all to do.

Forever grateful,

Tradenia Earley