Aug 15, 2007

Barbarian

I think one of the best books written in the last 10 years is the Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus. It is recommending reading for all.

He proposes that we as Christians have changed from a people who once had a primal, dangerous, and even barbaric faith into a people with a sanitized religion. On page 5 he writes, "Yet Christianity over the past 2000 years has moved from a tribe of renegades to a religion of conformist."

This challenged me, it caused me to re-examine my faith and ask...what am I? Is my faith growing and in the process bringing me into a tribe of renegades? Is it leading me into a passion and "followship" of him that some may find "barbaric"? Or am I becoming more and more just another cookie cutter Christian? Am I becoming a renegade or a professional Christian?

I know that this may sound odd if you have not read the book, but it is weighing on my mind.

Go read the book...it is small and only about 150 pages. But you need to be careful, it will make you think in ways that just might make you uncomfortable.

No comments: