Apr 8, 2010

Who Am I?

I have not been blogging lately, it is amazing how often things will get in the way of things that you love.

Today I am pondering how I am called in Ephesians 2:10 that I am God's "workmanship." That word in the the original language carries with it the idea of a fine piece of art, or poetry. I literally means that my existence is a sonnet penned by God himself. That sounds impressive. Poetry is an art form in which the author pours his heart into every word, it is intentional, it is passionate, it is personal. I am told that is my identity from God's perspective. That is reality.

That may be reality, but so often i do not feel that is my reality. I often feel average, tired, and and maybe even forgotten. What I am and how I view myself are often two different things...Why is that?

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Here is what I think as I read the stories of the scripture:

1. I don't choose to believe God. God tells me how valuable I am to him, that I am His sonnet, but I often choose to embrace my emotions more than choose to believe. Every moment we have an opportunity to decide what will lead us. We will either choose to be led by a choice or by an emotion. I can choose to believe that I am prized by God and today is a day to live as such, or I will let my life be led by the current emotions. What is leading your life today? Sometimes you just have to tell your emotions to SHUT-UP.

2. Lifestyle gets in the way - This goes to the question, "Is Christianity a set of beliefs or a lifestyle to embrace (and I am not talking about just a moral code)?" I think we get tired and frustrated when we strive to live by the perceived "Christian Code" more than we strive just to constantly ask, "Jesus, where/how can I submit my life to you right now? What is not under your leadership, and how do I get it there?" So often I think we reduce a life with Christ to a set of norms--is that ever powerful?

3. I need to enjoy what I have. So often I lose the joy of a moment because of instead of enjoying what I have, I am more consumed with what I don't.

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

Daniel Chatelain said...

I think so much of our personal identity and view of God goes back to early childhood and relationship with our fathers. Spoiled children grow up believing they are the center of the universe. As adults, they are shocked to learn otherwise. Neglected, rejected, or abused children grow into adults who chronically FEEL unworthy, even after they learn in their head that's not true. I think we all have to practice challenging our own emotions and beliefs with knowledge and facts. Dan Chatelain