Apr 13, 2010

Are you Magic Rocks or a Guitar?

Sunday I was speaking about how we often get into an identity crisis because we lose an understanding of who we are. In Christ we are not only a product of the explosive creative power of God, but a masterpiece in His eyes that he claims as a part of his private collection. That will never change, I will never lose that.

Though I never lose who I am in Christ, there is a battle going on for my understanding of who I am. When that understanding is stolen from me...I get into an identity crisis and instead of having a life of courage and confidence I have one of fear and discouragement. It doesn't have to be this way.

It is the difference between magic rocks and a guitar. Magic rocks are a toy product that you place in a container and in a matter of hours they grow into small stalagmites. They are colorful, but meaningless. Most of the time they are given as gifts and after a few days they are thrown away...meaningless product.

Oh the other hand, a guitar, when placed in the hands of someone with the skill to play it, can create music that moves, inspires, and challenges people. People can point to a song that impacted them, but no one ever says that their life was changed by magic rocks.

Do you think of your life as more like magic rocks (there is movement, color, busy happenings but it all seems a little meaningless) or a guitar (something that when I place myself in the hands of God can create something that is powerful for me and others.) As long as you let the words of others, the culture, and your circumstances shape your understanding of who you are, you will always feel more like meaningless magic rocks than a guitar that God can use.

Today commit to renew your personal pursuit of God so he can give clarity as to who you are, and help you see you like he sees you.

No comments: