Apr 8, 2009

Passion and Wisdom

Today I listen to someone and afterwards I found myself thinking that passion without wisdom is very dangerous. Passion is a good thing and it causes people to want to follow you, it causes you to be committed to a plan or cause, and keeps you moving forward. However, passion alone is not healthy. Passion without wisdom is like a race car with the throttle wide open but without a steering wheel. It can create havoc.

Also, having a "good heart" is not a substitute for wisdom. I will hear people talk about a decision someone made and say that their heart was right, good, pure, or sincere. As if that means that anything they do or decide is right and good. I know a lot of people that have done the wrong thing fully believing it was the right thing. What they lacked was not passion or a "right heart," what they lacked was wisdom.

I guess this is why God challenges us to pray for wisdom. He tells us to ask for it and he will give it liberally.

So today ask God to give you wisdom and I believe he will begin to take you through things that will do just that.

2 comments:

Steve Lawson said...

What a great point. I talked to a guy once that kept saying "Hear my heart in this..." in other words, he was being a jerk but if i could hear his heart then that would make it ok. We definately need to get more wisdom.

CarpeVinum said...

This reminded me of one of my favourite quotes regarding Love (Grace) and the Law which God has written on the tablets of our hearts.

The Law is the eye of love, without it, love is blind. Love is the heart of The Law, without it, The Law is dead.-Unknown (at least to me!)

Sadly, many churches today teach that Grace and The Law are mutually exclusive, when in fact, one cannot stand without the other.