Oct 5, 2009

brokeness

There is something so inviting and repelling about brokenness. On the one hand, we run from it. Maybe because we see brokenness as weakness and no one wants to be weak, or maybe because brokenness is acknowledging that we are out of answers. I don't know, but it is rarely people's favorite place to be.

However, there is also something inviting about brokenness. I think that there is something in us that knows that God is attracted to the brokenhearted. That he empowers those who he knows are powerless. The art of giving up can be the first step to being blown away by something awesome that God does. Brokenness is not a place of total defeat, but the first step to success.

I have been through a lot of things in my life...good and bad. The mix has been such that I live as a man broken before God. I struggle to believe that God can and will ever use me to impact others lives, I struggle accepting it when people indicate that God used something I said to impact them, I am blown away by what God has done at Piedmont, and I am convinced that my skills to screw things up is far greater than my skill to do it right.

I at times would like to shed this sense of brokenness, but at the same time I know that I am in the best place I can be. I think that greatness, real greatness, can not come without passing down the highway of brokenness.

No comments: