Jan 3, 2008

Why

I ran into a Minister of Music the other day that was challenging me in why we are doing church the way we do. He is at an established denominational church that has not changed anything in decades (not that that is wrong but it gives you idea of his perspective). Our talk was good and in the end he was very supportive. Later, however, I was sitting in my office at the house and I thought about his question of why we are doing church in a way that presents Christ in such a creative and compelling way. Something begin to stir in me, the more I thought about the more fired up I became.

My answer to this question is really simple...We do it because hopelessness is a reality, loneliness is a reality, and most of all Hell is a reality. People are really going to hell and existing forever without any hope of relief and we can't stand by and do little or nothing. We only have our one lifetime to help reverse that in people's live and the rest of eternity to focus on ourselves. So like Christ, we are more focused on going after the one that is lost than just hanging out with the ninety nine that are found. We have this passion because hell is a reality.

No comments: